Tuesday, August 25, 2015

alive and well and crazy and atlanta

So the blog took a bit of a....ahem...hiatus. The honest truth is that a lot of really hard stuff happened in my life and it was so hard that I couldn't even write about it. Sometimes words can't describe or even give justice to the sheer enormity of a situation.So I went silent. For three long years I've thought offhandedly, "Maybe I should start blogging again?" I would sit down to write and I'd end up on Pinterest or shopping online. (Total time suckers, by the way.) Now I'm ready. I have the time and I have the words. I'm looking forward to sharing. 

 Here's the family. As you can see, Matt and I haven't changed much over the last three years, but our children have grown like weeds and time has flown faster than I might ever have imagined. I'm the proud mother of a 4th grader and a kindergartner. These two boys are the joy of my life....next to their daddy of course. 


About a year and half ago I went back to work full time and I have to say that I love my job. It blends lots of my favorite things...clothes, fitness, and community. I work with amazing people that challenge and inspire me every day. I feel blessed to have a job I love....so many people hate going to work and most days I don't even feel like I'm working. I never went looking to go back to work and the job found me. Matt was supportive from the get-go and he picked up the slack during the transition of me not being home as much. 
 
This man...he might be the most wonderful creature that God put on this earth and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he put him here for me. Matt spoils me - not with gifts or expensive vacations, but in the every day little things. He tries to make my life easier every. single. day. He makes lunches, he puts kids to bed, he folds laundry, he brings boys to soccer and is just generally helpful. I've gotten really used to all that help! And just when you get (too) comfortable, life changes. Matt just took a job that will keep him in northern Georgia/Atlanta area Monday-Friday and I'll be the single working mom during the week. It's a great job and an incredible opportunity and I'm so happy for him. It wasn't a decision that we made lightly, but we made it together and have felt such an incredible peace every step along the way. I have never looked back and wondered if this is the right move. When we first starting telling people about this new job situation, we got a lot of these responses: 

"Oh, that sucks!"

"I just couldn't do it. I couldn't be without my husband."

"How are you going to handle it all? What will you do?" 


What will I do? I'll try to make Matt's life easier every. single. day. I'll pick up the slack. I'll give him the freedom to take this new opportunity and run with it. I'll be hyper-organized and flexible and go-with-the-flow. I'll be at soccer practices and school plays and parent/teacher conferences. I'll wake up an hour earlier and fall into bed an hour later. Why? Because it's my turn. Matt has stepped up to the plate at every turn as I started working full-time with two very active boys. He made my life so much less stressful and he never made me feel guilty about all the extra he was doing. Here's the other thing: Matt believes I can handle this. If he didn't, he never would have taken the job in the first place. Every time I start to feel overwhelmed, I remind myself that Matt trusts me to handle this and I want to make him proud. In a few weeks our "new normal" will actually feel normal and eventually this will be a season in our lives we'll remember and we'll reflect on all the ways we grew during that "tough time". The amazing thing is, I can see that we're already growing and here are the two things that are already standing out loud and clear. 

1. The time we spend together is so much sweeter. 

2. We appreciate each other so much more. 

All in all, some pretty great things are already coming out of a not-so-ideal situation. We're going to rock this (with a little help from family and friends)! In the meantime, you can pray for us if you think of it. We'll need a lot of those. 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to Matt on the new job! So exciting. I'll be praying for all of you as you adjust to the new schedule… I was so excited to see a new post from you pop up on my feed! Thanks for sharing and for reminding us to cheer on and support our spouses! :)

    ReplyDelete